What to Know If You Go: Downtown Events This Weekend
The tree lighting, Snow Fest, a grand opening and an arts and crafts show should make for a busy weekend in Safety Harbor.
The post-summer season is always a busy time here in the Sunshine State, as the weather gets cooler and the outdoor events multiply.
That fact couldn’t be more apparent in Safety Harbor this weekend, as there are no fewer than four major events taking place downtown beginning Friday night.
With so much going on this weekend, it’s hard to keep track of everything. Thankfully, that’s what Patch is here for! Here's a handy guide to the weekend activities in the Harbor.
Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony
- When: Friday, 6 p.m.
- Where: John Wilson Park Gazebo, 401 Main St.
- Cost: Free
- Info: This tradition dates back nearly 30 years in the Harbor. The event will begin with performances by the Standing Ovation Singers of Florida, The Safety Harbor Elementary School Chorus and Espritu Santo School Choir, after which Holiday Grand Parade Marshals Gisela Bennie and Joe Caisse will light the tree. Santa himself will make an appearance at around 7; the event with be hosted by Mayor Andy Steingold.
Safety Harbor Museum and Cultural Center Grand Opening
- When: Friday, 7:30 p.m.
- Where: 329 Bayshore Blvd. S.
- Cost: Free to attend
- Info: The newly remodeled museum will host its first public event tonight. Refreshments will be served, and guests will be able to view the facility, find out more about the classes and workshops, and learn about the benefits of becoming a member.
- Contact: Museum and Cultural Center website; 727-724-1562
- When: Saturday, 4 p.m.
- Where: Safety Harbor City Park, 940 7th St. S
- Cost: $2 entry fee, $7 for a wristband that will grant user unlimited access to all rides and games. Portions of the proceeds will go to the Elena Tresh Foundation.
- Info: The 6th edition of this family festival that benefits the Elena Tresh Foundation promises to be bigger than ever, complete with a giant slide, games, activities, entertainment, vendors and real snow!
- Contact: www.elenatresh.org; 727-210-1019
Kiwanis Art & Craft Show
- When: Sunday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
- Where: Six blocks of Main Street in Downtown Safety Harbor
- Cost: free to attend, vendor item prices vary
- Info: More than 200 vendors will be on hand for the 32nd edition of this downtown event hosted by the Kiwanis of Safety Harbor. There will be snacks for humans and dogs, a DJ at the Gazebo, a beer truck and Sloppy Joes for $2. Also a pancake breakfast at the Rigsby Center from 8-11 a.m. for a cost of $4.
- Former "American Idol" contestant and current Model Placement Center client John Jordan will be playing an intimate show at Cafe Orlando on Main Street Saturday night. For more information, visit the cafe's Facebook page, or contact them at 727-723-1116.
- The annual charity auction at the Harbor Bar is Sunday at 4 p.m. They will have drink specials and other fun activities, plus a ton of items available for bidding. All proceeds from the auction will go directly to Toys For Tots. For more information, call 727-726-8044